Monday, June 24, 2013

Heidi Grant Halvorson - three types of apologies

Heidi Grant Halvorson posted on the HBR Blog Network about apologies ("The Most Effective Ways to Make It Right When You Screw Up"). She denotes three different constituencies who require different types of apologies:

1. Strangers - they value offers of compensation (Assuming you accidentally knock over someone's coffee cup, say, "So sorry, I'll buy you another cup of coffee.")

2. Friends and Colleagues - they value empathy ("I'm sorry that I hurt you with that careless remark.")

3. Workgroup - they need an acknowledgement that an important norm was violated. ("I'm sorry I didn't make our meeting and didn't let you know beforehand. That's not acceptable. I will plan better next time.")

This is a very useful addition to our growing body of knowledge on apologies (see related posts on the subject).

Read the entire piece here.

No comments:

Post a Comment