Thursday, July 4, 2013

Books of the summer so far

This post is off topic, but no one in the US is reading anyway due to the holiday weekend ;)

I wanted to share the books I've read so far this summer; it's been a great reading season - when I looked back I was shocked at how many I've finished. Enjoy!

Steve Martin, "Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life." A performer's coming of age, from raw beginner to superstar.

Dan Isenberg, "Worthless, Impossible and Stupid: How Contrarian Entrepreneurs Create and Capture Extraordinary Value." Valuable, plausible and wise. More to come on this book in the coming weeks.

John Le Carré, "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold." I borrowed this from the seaside hotel where we spent the Memorial Day weekend, and I'm glad I did. Chilly, and chilling. Its reputation as a classic is well-deserved.

Haruki Murakami, "1Q84." A 900-page mind f---. I loved it.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb, "Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder." Perhaps the most significant book I've read in recent years. Explains much of my current mindset on economics, philosophy and social policy. But be warned: the author's voice is quirky, redundant and can be infuriating. Ignore that and focus on the ideas, which are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment