Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dennis Quaid on kicking a drug habit

This site is about business mistakes, not personal issues. Yet there were two important points in Dennis Quaid's story about kicking his cocaine addiction as told in Newsweek's "My Favorite Mistake" that are useful for all of us trying to learn from our mistakes. They are encapsulated in this brief excerpt:

By the time I was doing The Big Easy, in the late 1980s, I was a mess. I was getting an hour of sleep a night. I had a reputation for being a “bad boy,” which seemed like a good thing, but basically I just had my head stuck up my ass. I’d wake up, snort a line, and swear I wasn’t going to do it again that day. But then 4 o’clock rolled around, and I’d be right back down the same road like a little squirrel on one of those treadmills. The lack of sleep made it so my focus wasn’t really there, which affected my acting. Addiction just keeps you from living; you’re basically hiding from life. I had a band then, called the Eclectics. One night we played a show at the China Club in L.A., and the band broke up, just like in the movie The Commitments, because it all got too crazy. I had one of those white-light experiences that night where I kind of realized I was going to be dead in five years if I didn’t change my ways. The next day I was in rehab.

It was one of those times when you think, “Well, if I do the right thing and clean up my life, it’ll get better.” No, it got worse! In 1990 I did Wilder Napalm, which came out and went down the tubes. But that time in my life—those years in the ’90s recovering—actually chiseled me into a person. It gave me the resolve and a resilience to persevere in life. If I hadn’t gone through that period, I don’t know if I’d still be acting. In the end, it taught me humility. I really learned to appreciate what I have in this life.

Point #1 is that the recovery from an error or a failure is not guaranteed to be immediately better - the benefits may show up very slowly. Point #2 is the long-term impact of encountering and obstacle and surmounting it, developing, as Quaid writes, "the resolve and resilience to persevere in life." Fall down 7 times, get up 8, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment