Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tim Berry audio story: leaving a consulting firm to write books

In 2010, I had a long conversation with Palo Alto Software founder (and superb blogger) Tim Berry about mistakes. (The entire discussion can be found here.) He related one story about leaving a comfortable job in a consulting firm for a life as a freelance writer of computer books. Things turned out very differently from his plan, but not in a bad way. A "brilliant mistake," perhaps?

Tim Berry: leaving a consulting firm to write books (mp3 - 4:19) - right-click to download.

Transcript:

One of the dumbest things I did had really good serendipitous results. So I can easily think of a mistake that I deserved to have suffered for but instead it worked out very well.

I left Creative Strategies; the entrepreneurial compensation wasn't enough for me. I really wanted to do more. This was a time - this was 1983 - when Stewart Brand had just won a $100,000 advance for the Whole Earth Catalog. And there I was, having a fancy MBA, I had fallen in love with computers. I built my first computer; I became very computer literate. I could program hex memory. But I had been a journalist; I could also write. The crazy mistake I made was leaving Creative Strategies on purpose in order to write computer books to seek my fortune.

And that was a horrible mistake, because Stewart Brand's $100,000 advance was an aberration; it was a moment in history that didn't repeat itself.

So there I was, with 4 children, a good strong marriage; we are still married, 40 years later, so at least we had that. I had left a high paying job to write these books. (I was on contract for three books which I eventually wrote and got published.)

The mistake turned to a serendipity event. About three months after I left from Creative Strategies, I got a call from the GM of Apple Latin America who had been my best and most favorite client while I was at Creative Strategies. He said, "Tim, I need you to go to Venezuela to do a market study." I can remember this conversation almost exactly as it occurred.

I said, "Hector, I left Creative Strategies. I'm in a home office, writing computer books."

And Hector said, "Tim, don't be an idiot. I never liked paying Creative Strategies for your work. It was just you I was hiring. I'm delighted to just pay you directly. Now seriously, how soon can you get to Venezuela?"

Leaving a good job to write computer books was a stupid mistake that had a very nice end result. And I'm not that dumb, because at that point in the conversation I said, "I'll call you back in five minutes." Then I got on the phone and booked tickets and went off to Venezuela. And in the next 2 weeks, I wrote a market study for Apple Latin America that created an invoice that was more than the total I got for the 3 books I wrote. And I did it in two weeks. I realized that consulting was going to generate the real revenue in the family, whether or not I was a vice president.

So there's a mistake that turned out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment