Thursday, December 15, 2011

Learning by experience: "I would not leave until they would teach me what I was doing wrong"

There's a nice little learning story from Daniel Lubetzky, who started KIND, the snack food company. In this Wall Street Journal interview about growing his business, he describes how he learned to sell to grocery store owners and managers:

WSJ: What experience did you have in food manufacturing prior to launching Kind?

Mr. Lubetzky: Kind evolved out of my first company, PeaceWorks, [an importer and manufacturer of Mediterranean spreads] which I started in 1993. At that time, I had no training in the food industry whatsoever. I took my legal briefcase and filled it up with jars of my company's spreads and I would go store by store. They would tell me 'Get out! You have no idea what you're doing.' I would not leave until they would teach me what I was doing wrong.


This says something important about rejection. It's OK to be rejected, or to fail, if you get something out of it. In Lubetzky's case, he got a graduate-level course in retail and selling. If Lubetzky had simply left a store after being told to get out, he wouldn't have learned what to do differently, he wouldn't have had the incentive to keep "learning," and he certainly wouldn't have ended up where he is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment