Thursday, October 10, 2013

Story: Put things where they belong, a lesson for father and son

One day I was talking to my son George and urging him to use the work-in-progress folder that we had created for him to put all of his assignments in, so they would not get lost. He was resisting, mostly because he's 12 and has little to learn from anyone, especially his parents ;). I used my best reasoning judgment to convince him, telling him that if he has a place for those important things, he will know where they are when he needs them. Finally, I had to basically insist that he use this tool that we provided for him.

Later that day I was gathering my work things together to do some work while at George's soccer practice. I had trouble finding the earpiece for my cellphone. I looked in all the places I thought it might be but couldn't find it. I eventually gave up, and took George to soccer practice. I finished my work there, and as I was packing up my computer, putting it back into my backpack, I noticed that my ear piece was sitting in the bottom of the computer sleeve. It was there, just not in the right spot. So the moral of the story for me was: practice what you preach. Put things where they belong and then they will be there when you need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment