Friday, September 20, 2013

Paul Graham unveils communication around the Union Square Ventures mistake not to invest in AirBnb

Y Combinator partner Paul Graham has shared the entire email correspondence relating to Fred Wilson and USV considering an early investment in AirBnb, now likely a $1B+ valued enterprise. The email story is here, and it is absolutely fascinating to me because I loved Fred's recounting of his mistake in declining to invest those few years ago, which I wrote about here, and in the book.

I spent some time this week talking to startups as part of the 99u Pop-Up School, and this story is essential reading for anyone trying to launch something brand-new. My favorite quote is from one of Fred's emails:

It's interesting

Our two junior team members were enthusiastic

The three "old guys" didn't get it

No comments:

Post a Comment