Monday, March 11, 2013

Arthur Ashe: "You've got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important than winning or losing"

You've got to get to the stage in life where going for it is more important than winning or losing.

Arthur Ashe, US Open & Wimbledon Tennis champion.

Seeing this quoted on Twitter resonated based on my recent reading of "Whoever Makes the Most Mistakes Wins: The Paradox of Innovation" by Ralph Farson and Ralph Keyes. Farson and Keyes discuss the idea that the highest levels of engagement in a project trump the idea of specific success or failure, and Ashe says pretty much the same thing. For me, I needed to get to my forties, and absorb a fair amount of both success and failure, to appreciate what Ashe is saying.

There are many references to this quote, but I can't find its origin - whether in one of Ashe's books, or in an interview. If you know, leave us a comment. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment