Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jocelyn Glei: making and recovering from a poor job transition

Jocelyn Glei from shared a terrific mistake story and lessonon The99Percent.com. Here is the start of the story:

One of the biggest mistakes I made was a poor job transition in 2007. I had been working for an exciting startup called Flavorpill for a little over 4 years. When I joined in 2002, the company was expanding, and I had the opportunity to assemble an editorial team, collaborate with the founders on growing the brand, and work closely with our wonderful design partners to build and launch new products. It was a great job and I learned a ton. But eventually, I knew it was time to move on.

A friend connected me with the CEO of a massive music website that wanted to reinvent its coverage for a new, hipper audience. He was looking for an editor with a vision. I didn't like their current website, but the allure of having carte blanche to reinvent the site was strong. I was also offered more money than I had ever made, and the opportunity to relocate to Los Angeles. I was ready for a major change, and this seemed like the perfect way to shake things up.

As a result, I probably didn’t do as much homework on the position as I should have. After just a few weeks on the job, I realized something was amiss....

Please go to The99Percent.com to read the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment